After our latest Ofsted inspection in March, Babington is thrilled to announce the achievement of an overall rating of grade 2 ‘good’, with some subjects rated as ‘outstanding’.
The summary of grades is as follows:
- Overall Effectiveness – Grade 2
- Leadership and Management – Grade 2
- Outcomes – Grade 2
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment – Grade 2
The report from Ofsted gave the following reasons for the ‘good’ rating:
- The large majority of our apprentices achieve their frameworks.
- The arrangements for traineeships have much improved and the programme is now well planned, effectively preparing trainees for the next steps in their education or employment.
- Learners receive good support to develop vocational, English and mathematics skills to a good standard in most subject areas.
- Teaching, learning and assessment are good across all programmes, with examples of outstanding teaching.
- Learners benefit from good quality information, advice and guidance.
- Programmes meet the needs of the employers, learners and employment sectors exceptionally well.
- Leaders, managers and staff set high expectations for learners’ achievement, and are successful in raising learners’ aspirations.
- Managers deal with under-performance swiftly and ensure staff are well trained in order to provide a good-quality experience for learners.
‘Outstanding’ teaching in some subjects
We are especially proud of our achievements within Accounting and Financial Services, which received Ofsted grades of ‘outstanding’.
Ofsted’s report identified “high levels of support from experienced training advisors and industry-standard assessors who use their commercial experience well.” It said that high expectations from tutors motivate and inspire learners to do well.
The report also stated that Babington’s virtual learning environment, BabingtonOnline, “has excellent finance and accounting learning materials that include pre-recorded lectures, interactive videos and a chat room facility”, which encourage learners to develop independent learning skills. Inspectors recognised the value of ‘simulated activities’ claiming that topics are ‘brought to life’ through the use of technology.
Accounting and Financial Services are ‘outstanding’ because:
- Outstanding teaching in the accounting sessions motivates and stimulates learners to make progress and succeed according to their potential; teaching activities are highly engaging and varied with extensive use of role-play to consolidate learning.
- Apprentices make excellent progress and take on extra responsibility as they develop good accounting and financial services skills; the very large majority of apprentices gain their apprenticeship within the planned duration of their programme.
- Staff have established exceptionally productive partnerships with employers resulting in careful management of teaching, learning and assessment; many young and new apprentices make considerable contributions at work very quickly.
You can see the full Ofsted report, along with previous reports, here.
If you like the sound of taking your next steps towards a successful career with Babington, we’d love to hear from you.